Thursday, February 26, 2015

Driving While Black

I'm going to to preface this post with a few random comments. First of all, if you know me at all or have read any of my other stuff, I think you would agree that I try to be a fair person. I try to have empathy for people, to consider the other guy's point of view. I'm much better at that in the abstract, of course. When I'm in the middle of a heated argument with my husband or kids, not so much. Hopefully you, the blog reader, will be able to keep that in mind as I take on a touchy subject, and trust that I am just trying hard to make sense of it all.

Secondly, prepare yourself. I call black people black. I call white people white. All of the black people I know well enough to have a conversation with call themselves “black;” All the white people I talk to refer to themselves as “white.” That being the case, I just don't see the need for all the euphemisms like “people of color” or "European American."  I strongly suspect all of those terms were thought up by some white people trying to get over their own discomfort with race issues. I'm not buying into it. Sorry.

Thirdly, WE HAVE GOT TO GET THIS RACIAL INJUSTICE CRAP FIGURED OUT! NOW! I can not say it emphatically enough. Seriously. We can split atoms, for crying out loud! We have had the ability to do it for like 70 years now. We use the power of that ability to police the world and intervene in all sorts of human rights issues. How is it that we, as a society can not figure out how to ensure human rights for every human being in our own damned backyard???

Now that we're on the same page, I want to tell you all a story. My husband came home in a crabby mood the other day. I was a little annoyed by this but, you know, spouses get crabby sometimes. The next day, he told me about how he had been stopped by the police on his way home the day before for running a stop sign. (Incidentally, that “stop sign” was a yield sign, but we're not going to go there. For the sake of conversation, we are going to pretend it was a legitimate traffic violation.) Now, in our neighborhood, it is pretty standard to see two police vehicles whenever someone is pulled over. Presumably, this is because there is only one officer in each car these days. I think it is fair to say that you will often see more than one car, regardless of who is being stopped. One officer will make the stop and soon after, another car will pull up; the second officer will usually stay in the car. For a routine traffic stop you will usually only see two police cars, although one or two others might drive past. The only times I've ever seen more than two cars or several officers out of their vehicles is when someone was obviously being arrested.

Maybe you should also know that in the 16 years I've known him, my black husband has been stopped at least a dozen times for all sorts of terrible traffic infractions like having a license plate cover, a dangling air freshener, or for turning around in a school driveway because he forgot something at work, two blocks back. One time he had three cops pull him over in front of our own house, but only one officer got out of the cars. Remarkably, his decade-long crime spree has only resulted in one ticket, for speeding. One. Twelve stops. One ticket. I, myself, have only gotten one “warning” in my entire speed demon life. When I get stopped, I actually get a ticket, and I have never had more than one officer on the scene.

On this occasion, upon seeing the lights go on, my husband pulled over, and rolled down his window. The white officer, told him why he had been stopped, then returned to his police car to run Hubby's license and plate. Predictably, a second car rolled up and stopped. Here's where it gets a little interesting. The second white officer got out of his car as third and fourth white officers rolled up and got out of their cars also. While my husband sat peaceably in the Honda, all three extra officers put their hands on their guns and surrounded the car. One of the additional police officers started interrogating my husband though the still-open car window: “Where are you coming from?” “What were you doing?” “Where are you going?” My husband, wisely, kept both hands in plain view on the steering wheel, only moving one—SLOWLY—as he told the interrogating officer, “The other cop has my information. I don't have to talk to you.” and rolled up the window. Eventually, the first officer returned my husband's license and registration, “letting him go with just a warning.” Wow. Someone is going to have to help me understand how running a stop sign is just cause for three police officers to threaten his life with firearms.

If you think I am being overly dramatic about the danger of the situation, I suggest you pull your head out of your butt and check in with the news outlet of your choice. This is how black men die. Exactly like this. Some thing happens. Some police officers get involved, whether justifiably or not. Someone escalates the situation until somebody gets shot. Or choked. Or beaten to death. A black guy gets killed over something a white guy would probably just get a traffic ticket for.

I have friends and relatives who are in law enforcement. I have friends married to cops. I have the utmost respect for men and women who are willing to place themselves in danger to protect me and my family, so anyone who is tempted to jump to the defensive and justify the actions of the officers—I don't want to hear it. I really don't. I'm not claiming that all cops are racist criminals. I know there are great cops. I believe there are more good cops than bad ones, but the simple, ugly truth is that my husband was threatened with death because he is black. There is no defense for that, and it has to stop. IT HAS TO STOP. Any reasonable person must be able to agree that it just has to stop.

Reasonable people surely can agree that the system has to change. The justice system must become more...just. But how? I don't have the answers. I just have a whole lot of questions, such as why are almost all the police officers in my city white? If white officers are so endangered by black men that an armed 4:1 ratio is required to ensure their safety, why don't we have primarily black officers in areas of the city heavily populated with black people? Is it racist to even suggest such a thing? Why are there so few black or Hispanic cops? Do blacks and Hispanics not want to be in law enforcement? Do they not have sufficient access to the education required to be police officers? Does the city not hire minority officers on purpose? Is it a weird coincidence? There are all sorts of programs to entice certain people to choose certain careers. I see TV commercials all the time to encourage girls to consider careers in math and science, for instance. Why can't we do the same thing to encourage blacks and other minorities to enter the fields of law enforcement and politics?

Why doesn't the public have access to the rates of minority versus non-minority traffic stops? We have statistics on everything else in the world that matters to us. Why don't we conduct standardized citizen satisfaction surveys on our community leaders and organizations, as well as our police departments and then base funding for these things on how ours compare with similar organizations across the nation? Some people think that's a good idea for funding health care systems, why not for police?

Why do we worry so much about using politically correct language to classify each other's differences instead of being honest about what's really dividing us? Why are we arguing about balancing the federal budget, and reducing national debt when we can't even agree on how to resolve the overwhelming moral deficit clearly seen in the racial injustices we all want to ignore? Who cares what some news anchor lied about when we are all lying every time we pledge allegiance to the nation of liberty and justice for all? When is enough going to be enough?  When is it going to stop?