Friday, April 15, 2016

A Voter Perspective

An Open Letter To Mr. Amash

President Obama introduces Merrick Garland as his Supreme Court nominee Wednesday at the White House. Garland, 63, is currently chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

President Barack Obama and Supreme Court nominee the Honorable Merrick Garland 
 
Good Morning.

I am one of your constituents.  I would like to take this opportunity to explain a situation I recently encountered in my job at a local hospital which I feel you may relate to.  As a clinical pharmacist, one of my many important responsibilities is to evaluate and implement medication therapies as ordered by physicians.  Recently, I received medication orders for a patient by a physician I was not in favor of hiring.  On many occasions we have had differing opinions as to how a patient should be treated, and I have had enough.  I made the calculated decision not to act on his orders.  Since a new physician would take over the case at shift change in 5 hours, I decided to wait until then.  Maybe after shift change it would be a doctor I like better, so until then I was simply not going to cooperate. 

Absurd, right?  No professional with any integrity at all would freeze patient care in such a negligent manner.  Obviously this is NOT a real scenario.  (In case my boss is reading:  Really!  I would never do such a thing!!!!)  This is simply an apt illustration to highlight for you that, in the real world, people are required to act like the adults they are and DO THEIR JOBS. I cannot emphasize it strongly enough.  I urge you and your Republican colleagues in Congress in the strongest possible terms to stop behaving like petulant children and perform your constitutional duty.  As a voter, I demand that you uphold all the responsibilities you were elected to fulfill.  Please begin confirmation proceedings for the current nominee for Supreme Court Justice, the Honorable Merrick Garland. 

Your party’s refusal to honor President Obama’s right and responsibility to nominate a candidate for a vacancy on the Supreme is a great affront to the American people—the American people who entrusted our current president with all of the duties of the office in the two fair and legal elections which put President Obama in office.  We have already spoken.  The president has been faithful to his responsibilities; now you and your fellow Republicans in Congress must be faithful to yours.  Do.  Your.  Job.    

Sincerely,

Dr. Rebecca Boyd



P.S.  I have a really big mouth and am not shy about broadcasting my views.  One of the ways I do this is with my blog, which may be found at:  http://justbeckyunfiltered.blogspot.com.  A copy of this letter will be publicly featured there later today.  Enjoy!

RWB